At 828 meters, the Burj Khalifa height is the most mesmerizing element of the building. The leader of Dubai, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, was the visionary behind this iconic structure. His vision has put the region on the map and at the forefront of engineering feats. There are several interesting aspects about this megastructure that are worth mentioning. Hence, we have provided you with all the amazing insights into this world-class building.
Burj Khalifa floors: Division of the building
The floors of Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, has different zones for different purposes. There are a total of 163 floors in the building. But the exact number of habitable floors varies, depending on the source. Here is a breakdown of how the Burj Khalifa floors are divided:
- Levels 1-8: The first eight floors of Burj Khalifa are the podium levels. These levels contain the lobby, retail space, restaurants, and public facilities.
- Levels 9-16: These floors are office spaces.
- Levels 17-124: These are the residential floors of the building. They contain luxury apartments and penthouses.
- Levels 125-148: These floors are occupied by the At The Top observation deck, an open deck for the public.
- Levels 149-154: These floors are for mechanical equipment and maintenance.
- Levels 155-163: These floors are the spire and pinnacle of the tower.
Facts about Burj Khalifa height, space, floors and others
As the tallest building in the world, there are several interesting things about the Burj Khalifa that are worth exploring. Here are 10 incredible facts about Burj Khalifa.
- Burj Khalifa stands at 828 meters (2,716 feet) tall. This is more than twice the height of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
- The tower has 163 floors in total, with 154 usable floors.
- The spire at the top of the tower is 200 meters (656 feet) tall. This makes it one of the tallest freestanding structures in the world.
- The construction of the tower took six years, from 2004 to 2010, and involved over 12,000 workers.
- The tower’s design was inspired by Islamic architecture and features a series of setbacks that help to reduce wind resistance and increase stability.
- Burj Khalifa’s height was kept a secret until its official opening on January 4, 2010.
- The Burj Khalifa height was originally planned to be 818 meters (2,684 feet). However, it was later increased to its current height.
- Burj Khalifa held the record for the world’s tallest building until 2019. However, it was surpassed by the Jeddah Tower in Saudi Arabia (currently under construction).
- The tower has a total floor area of 309,473 square meters (3.3 million square feet) and contains a mix of residential, commercial, and hotel space.
- Elevators in the Burj Khalifa are among the fastest in the world. They are capable of traveling at speeds of up to 20 meters per second (65 feet per second).
How long and how many people did it take to complete the Burj Khalifa?
Construction of the Burj Khalifa took approximately 6 years to complete from 2004 to 2010. The exact timeline varies throughout the project, with work progressing at different rates at different stages.
At the peak of its construction, there were around 12,000 workers working on the project. This included engineers, architects, and construction workers from South Asia and other parts of the Middle East.
Needless to say, the construction of Burj Khalifa was a massive undertaking that required innovative engineering and construction techniques to overcome a variety of challenges.
Some of the key factors that contributed to the complexity of the project included the extreme heat and humidity of the Dubai climate, and the high winds at the top of the building. Another aspect that posed a great challenge was the need to ensure the safety of the workers during the construction process.
Despite facing these challenges, construction of the Burj Khalifa was completed successfully, and the structure has now become an iconic symbol of Dubai’s ambition and vision.
Will the Burj Khalifa remain the tallest building in the world?
Perhaps, not. The Burj Khalifa height is a testament to man’s ability to create something astounding. Therefore, the height of this building is meant to be surpassed by another.
A few years ago, Saudi Arabia announced the construction of the Jeddah Tower which is proposed to beat the Burj Khalifa height, coming in at 1000 meters tall.
As of 2023, the construction of the Jeddah Tower has not been completed, which is why the Burj Khalifa still retains its title for the world’s tallest building.
Having said that, Emaar constructions had planned another tall tower to join the skyline of Dubai. The Creek Tower was proposed to be the tallest tower in the world. However, due to certain reasons the construction of this building was also halted.
Therefore, based on all the occurrences so far, we understand that the Burj Khalifa still holds the record for being the tallest building on Earth. However, it can be surpassed by upcoming projects in the world.
The most expensive property sold in the Burj Khalifa
The most expensive property sold in Burj Khalifa is reportedly the Penthouse, also known as the “Sky Villa”. The sale was reported to have been completed in 2019 for a whopping $20 million.
This property is located on the 117th floor of Burj Khalifa and spans over 8,000 square feet. It features six bedrooms, a private elevator, a swimming pool, a gym, and stunning views of Dubai.
The buyer of the Sky Villa has not been disclosed, but it is believed to be a member of the royal family of the United Arab Emirates. This sale set a record for the most expensive property ever sold in the tower and underscores the incredible demand for luxury real estate in Dubai.
Overall, Burj Khalifa is famous for its high-end residential properties and is home to some of the most luxurious and exclusive apartments and penthouses in the world.
Architects who designed the Burj Khalifa
The architects who designed Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, are Adrian Smith, who worked as Design Partner and William F. Baker, who worked as Structural Engineer.
Adrian Smith was a partner at the Chicago-based architectural firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) when he was chosen to lead the design team for Burj Khalifa. He worked closely with the developers and engineers to create the tower’s unique design, which was inspired by the shape of a desert flower.
William F. Baker, who worked at SOM as the Chief Structural Engineer, played a key role in designing the structural system that supports the tower. He developed a system of interlocking concrete walls and steel beams that help to distribute the weight of the building and withstand the high winds and seismic activity in the region.
The design and engineering of Burj Khalifa were a remarkable feat of innovation and creativity, requiring the collaboration of a large team of architects, engineers, and construction experts to make the vision a reality.
Burj Khalifa: Defying the odds of engineering
Burj Khalifa is an iconic building that is famous for several reasons as discussed above. From the Burj Khalifa height to the amenities included, everything about this building is outstanding.
This incredible height required the development of new construction techniques to ensure the safety of workers and to withstand the high winds at the top of the building.
Additionally, the building’s unique design, inspired by the shape of a desert flower, is both elegant and functional. It features a series of setbacks that help to reduce wind resistance and allow for outdoor terraces on several levels.
Burj Khalifa is also home to some of the most luxurious apartments and penthouses in the world, and its observation deck provides stunning views of Dubai and the surrounding area.
Overall, the Burj Khalifa is an impressive engineering and architectural achievement that continues to capture the world’s imagination.