The UAE is a small, proud country that is witnessing rapid growth. From the UAE flag to the food, the country has several unique features. Many people worldwide choose to live in the UAE for several reasons, including new job and investment opportunities, a better lifestyle, global exposure, and more. It is necessary for anyone moving to the UAE to get an Emirates ID, which is the official national identification document of the country. All the people residing in the country are required to have an Emirates ID. Let’s examine the various aspects of the identification card and how to check Emirates ID status online.
Key steps to check the status of your Emirates ID online
It is pretty simple to check the status of your Emirates ID online as long as you have a smartphone or PC and a good internet connection. Just follow the steps below.
- Head over to www.ica.gov.ae. It is the website of the Federal Authority of Identity and Citizenship of the UAE. Note that it is available inside the country only.
- You will find a Check ID status menu on the right corner of the homepage. Click on it.
- Submit your Emirates ID number or application number. Make sure to skip adding hyphens or other special characters.
- Your Emirates ID application status will appear as a popup message on the screen.
- Follow the steps mentioned above when you want to check the status at any application stage.
- If you are seeking further assistance, dial 600522222 to speak directly with the authorities.
Average time to process your Emirates ID
On average, it takes 7 to 10 days to process your Emirates ID. the time is calculated from the day your visa gets stamped on your passport. Before getting the physical card, you can access the digital version by signing up on the official website. Generally, the Emirates ID is issued within 4 days of completing the required medical test.
Getting Emirates ID within 24 hours
Getting your Emirates ID issued within 24 hours of applying is possible. It is a special service offered by the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Ports Security. Popularly known as ‘Fawri,’ the service can be availed of by paying an extra fee apart from the standard fee of applying for an Emirates ID.
Generally, only UAE and GCC Nationals who are residing in the UAE can apply for this express service. It is available when they register for the first time, wants to renew their expired cards or replace damaged or lost cards. There are no age registrations for applying.
The case of residents in the country who are not GCC nationals is different. They can only apply for the express ID if they want to replace their existing national ID.
To avail of the express Emirates ID service, you must head over to the FAIC Customer Happiness Centre and provide all the relevant information and documents. Note that it is unnecessary to make an appointment to use this service in advance.
Where to get Fawri services
You can get Fawri services in several locations across the UAE, which are as follows.
- Umm Al Quwain Centre
- Ajman Centre
- Fujairah Centre
- Sharjah Centre
- Madinat Zayed in the Western Region
- Al Ain Centre
- Ras Al Khaimah Centre
- Al Barsha, Al Rashidiya and Karama in Dubai
- Al Jazeera and Khalifa City in Abu Dhabi
Things to do with an Emirates ID
Holding an Emirates ID in the UAE is highly beneficial.
Getting an Emirates ID is essential to set up your life and residence in the UAE seamlessly. What’s more, having a national ID is mandatory to be officially registered as a resident of the country. The following are the major things you can do by owning an Emirates ID.
- Get a smartphone
- Procure an internet connection
- Pay for DEWA
- Register a vehicle under your name
- Set up a bank account
- Pay traffic and parking fines
Key benefits of having an Emirates ID
Having an Emirates ID is a good idea not just because it is mandatory. It provides a range of benefits that ease your life in the UAE and gives you access to exclusive privileges. Take a look at the top advantages below.
- Works as indisputable proof of identity
- Offers detailed visa information
- Aids in easing travel procedures
- Provides a clear record of medical history
- Generates banking details and reports
- Reveals criminal records and status
Works as indisputable proof of identity
An Emirates ID helps in establishing your identity within minutes, regardless of which area of the country you are in. It helps in saving a lot of time and hassle. You must carry your national ID wherever you go to present it to the authorities when necessary. It includes government bodies like the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA), Dubai Municipality and the Real Real Estate Regulatory Authority (RERA). It is beneficial when hoping to pay off traffic or parking fines quickly. Moreover, the ID safeguards you from fraudulent activities and protects your identity in the country.
Offers detailed visa information
You can stay updated on the status of your UAE visa and related details through your Emirates ID. It is only a matter of entering your Emirates ID number on the official website to access the information. There is an expiration date provided on your Emirates ID. Generally, the date is the same as your UAE visa’s expiry.
Aids in easing travel procedures
Your Emirates ID holds special power in easing immigration procedures and unlocking new privileges while traveling locally or internationally from and to the UAE. Using the ID, you can use the e-gate smart services offered in major UAE airports to skip the lines and complete the travel formalities more quicker. Passport control steps may take longer if you do not carry your Emirates ID.
Provides a clear record of medical history
Accessing the UAE’s world-class medical services becomes simpler using your Emirates ID. It is required for all the residents of the country to register for medical insurance. The system of your insurance company should be linked to your Emirates ID. When you head to a medical center, you can provide your national ID, and your insurance claim will be validated at the consultation time. Medical centers access your insurance company’s database online to access relevant details.
Moreover, all the medical history will be promptly uploaded to your digital database linked to the ID card. It rules out the need for carrying paper-based documents to present evidence of insurance at the medical center. Plus, you can keep track of your medical history easily online.
Generates banking details and reports
Through your Emirates ID, it becomes easy to generate your credit and bank reports through online portals. It is useful when trying to avail of various banking services including applying for a credit card or a loan. Bank authorities can use your Emirates ID to check your past banking history and grant you the required services quickly.
Reveal criminal records and status
All your legal activities and criminal records are added to your database, which can be accessed through your Emirates ID by an authorized official. The information is available on the Dubai Police website under the services section. It makes it easier for the authorities to procure such information for relevant matters, consequently minimizing your hassle.
Are the UAE residence visa and Emirates ID the same?
No, your UAE residence visa and Emirates ID are not the same. The residence visa is a stamp on your passport. On the other hand, the Emirates ID is a separate card in the size of a credit card. You must carry your Emirates ID wherever you go for various official procedures while in the country.
Costs of getting an Emirates ID
The costs of getting an Emirates ID depend on the type of card and the time range for which it is issued. The following are the general costs to keep in mind while applying for an Emirates ID.
- AED 40- to avail of the service
- AED 100- to issue the card for a period of 5 years
- AED 200- for a period of 10 years
- AED 30- fees at the printing office
- AED 150- in case you opt for the urgent service
- AED 290- total cost to get Emirates ID for 5 years through the Customer Happiness Center
- AED 390- total cost to get Emirates ID for 10 years through the Customer Happiness Center
- AED 140- average cost to get the ID for 5 years through the Smart App
- AED 240- average cost to get the ID for 10 years through the Smart App
- AED 170- final cost to get the ID for 5 years through the Printing Office
- AED 270- final cost to get the ID for 10 years through the Printing Office
Note that the Emirates ID is issued for expats for up to 3 years.
- AED 100- to issue for each year
- AED 40 – service fees
- AED 150- urgent service
- AED 30- Printing Office charges
- AED 290- urgent services through the Customer Happiness Center for 1 year
- AED 390- urgent services through the Customer Happiness Center for 2 years
- AED 490- urgent services through the Customer Happiness Center for 3 years
- AED 140- 1 year valid ID through the Smart App or website
- AED 240- 2 years valid ID through the Smart App or website
- AED 340- 3 years valid ID through the Smart App or website
- AED 170- Printing Office ID issue fee for 1 year
- AED 270- Printing Office ID issue fee for 2 years
- AED 370- Printing Office ID issue fee for 3 years
How to get the digital version of your Emirates ID
Before you get the physical version of your Emirates ID, you can avail of several services through its digital version. Follow the steps below to get your Emirates ID online.
- Use the Play Store or App Store on your phone to download the ICA UAE Smart App.
- Create an account by providing the relevant details. Verify your account through the submitted email address to finalize the process.
- Alternately, use your UAE Pass credentials to log into the app.
- Go to the Emirates ID section for QR Code. Use it to create the digital version of your emirates ID through the Documents Wallet’ option.
- Use the digital Emirates ID for various purposes like using mobile services until your physical ID arrives.
Procedure to get your Emirates ID
There are a few crucial steps to complete before you become eligible to get your Emirates ID. It is recommended to rely on a business consultancy to complete your visa and Emirates ID formalities. The costs of getting your visa and Emirates ID issued can range between AED 2,500 and AED 7,000. The final amount depends on which emirate you reside in, your chosen processing method, and more.
Generally, the following are the stages of getting your Emirates ID.
- Get your entry permit
- Complete the medical checkup
- Officially apply for the Emirates ID
- Get your visa stamped
Get your entry permit
The entry permit will be generated along with your residence visa. The validity of the permit is 60 days. You must finish the medical test and Emirates ID application procedures before the permit expires. It is given to business owners and those employed by a company registered in the UAE.
Complete the medical checkup
The medical checkup involves tests for diseases including Tuberculosis, AIDS and Hep B. It should be completed from one of the officially approved Preventive Medicine Centers. You will get to the next step of the visa process once the test results are deemed fine. Your visa application will be rejected if the test indicates that you have one of the mentioned diseases. Note that the checkup is mandatory to issue your residence visa.
Officially apply for the Emirates ID
The next step is to go to a Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship office to process your Emirates ID application. The procedure involves eye and fingerprint scanning. Many Preventive Medical Centres are located close to such offices for your convenience. The biometric data is securely stored in the official system.
Get your visa stamped
The final stage is getting your residency visa stamped in your passport. The visa will be valid for 2 or 3 years depending on where you are employed. Your Emirates ID remains valid for as long as your visa is valid.
Replacing damaged/lost Emirates ID
It is important to keep your Emirates ID safe and sound and carry it around wherever you go. However, in case you lose it, follow the instructions below to get a new one.
- Report the loss of your Emirates ID at your nearest police station. You need to pay AED 70 to make the report.
- Let the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship know about the loss. Make sure to do so within 7 days of losing it.
- Go to the nearest Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship office to apply for a new card. You are required to pay around AED 340 to AED 370 in total. Pay AED 300 for the replacement and an extra AED 70 for the application. The application fee is AED 40 if you do so online.
- The new card will be delivered to the specified post office, where you can collect it.
Causes for cancellation of Emirates ID
There are a few key reasons why your Emirates ID can get canceled, as follows.
- You do not want to stay in the UAE any longer.
- You are leaving your existing job, applying for a new residency visa, or establishing a new business in Dubai.
Your ID will be canceled when as part of the visa cancellation procedure. You must submit the ID Card to the Immigration officials or the employer at the time of your visa cancellation.
Countries to travel with an Emirates ID
Getting an Emirates ID brings down several visa complications while traveling to and from the UAE. The following are the top countries that residents and citizens of the UAE can travel to without a visa or with a visa on arrival.
|Top countries to travel with Emirates ID
An Emirates ID is essential to become a resident in the UAE. Make sure to handle related matters seriously and with care to avoid unnecessary hassle.